If it has been determined that the tree needs some water, we suggest the following methods:
- Place a garden hose about 12" or so from the trunk of the tree.
- Adjust the water flow until it is trickling the size of a pencil or pen.
- Let the water run for 30-45 minutes (for very large trees, do this on both sides of the tree).
- Take into account how much Mother Nature has provided, but never count on her to provide enough.
- In-ground irrigation systems are nice, but are usually geared to turf, which has different water requirements.
- And finally, it can take 2-3 seasons for a newly planted tree to become established. Until then, it will need your help.